Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cheese Enchiladas and Made-Up Salad

I assume at some point in time I will return to taking my own pictures instead of relying on pictures from other sources. However, if it's available and looks WAY better than what I made, why not???

In trying to keep with my summertime promise to myself of trying new recipes, I made these cheese enchiladas I saw in Taste of Home awhile back. I LOVE cheese enchiladas, but I've never made them myself. I served these with what I call Made-Up Salad, because that's exactly what I did. I just made it up! So while I don't have a picture of it, I will try to include what I remember of how I concocted it.

The verdict on this meal: definitely a repeat! And even better as leftovers!

One note on this, however. The recipe says to make your own sauce, but I'm a fan of the canned enchilada sauce; I love the flavor and the ease! Just open a can and you're ready to go! I made half a recipe of these enchiladas, so I bought 1 28-oz. can of enchilada sauce and had PLENTY leftover.

Cheese Enchiladas Recipe
Photo courtesy Taste of Home

Cheese Enchiladas

Ingredients:


2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
1-1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
16 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed (I used whole wheat)
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided (used lowfat)
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream (used lowfat)
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (omitted, accidentally!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Shredded lettuce, sliced ripe olives and additional sour cream, optional

Directions:

In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Spoon 2 tablespoons sauce over each tortilla.

In a large bowl, combine the Monterey Jack, 2 cups cheddar cheese, onions, sour cream, parsley, salt and pepper (I added a little extra cumin and chili powder to the cheese mixture for extra depth of flavor). Place about 1/3 cup down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Pour remaining sauce over top.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake 4-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish with lettuce, olives and sour cream if desired. Yield: 16 enchiladas.

Made-Up Salad
 
Ingredients:
 
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, rinsed and drained
1 poblano pepper, chopped, seeds & ribs removed
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped, seeds & ribs removed
15 baby carrots (approximately), chopped
2 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 c. canola or olive oil
3 T. red wine vinegar
1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. cumin
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. dried oregano
Salt & pepper to taste
 
Directions:
 
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in a liquid measurer until well combined. Pour wet ingredients over vegetables and stir until coated. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment